Sunday, January 15, 2006

Investment advice in blogs

In my posting on "Do investment & financial services companies belong in the blogosphere?" I asked if any reputable companies have started blogs in this area.

I've found some investment-related sites thanks to attending a lecture on blogs by Sree Sreenivasan, dean of students and professor at Columbia Journalism School and "tech guru."
Much of the content from his lecture is covered online.

The first site I visited on his advice was Footnoted.org. It is an informative and lively site that uncovers tidbits from financial filings such as 10-k forms.

I checked out the blogroll in the right-hand column of Footnoted.org. There I found more than a dozen links to blogs. Without visiting many of them, I get the sense that some are stock-picking sites, others focus on commentary. If you get a chance to visit, tell me what you think.

I was interested to read the disclosure at the top of each posting at Stock Picks Bob's Advice. "Hello Friends! Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting my blog, Stock Picks Bob's Advice. As always, please remember that I am an amateur investor, so please remember to consult with your professional investment advisors prior to making any investment decisions based on information on this website."

Seeking Alpha describes itself as the "Dashboard for the Leading Network of Stock Market and Personal Financial Blogs." The Seeking Alpha Network includes stock sector, country stock, personal finance and other investing blogs.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan Weiner, CFA said...

The blog called BankStocks.com was mentioned to me by a new client this morning.

Thomas K. Brown, the blogger behind BankStocks.com, deals with compliance issues by requiring web surfers to agree to a detailed "General Terms of Use" before accessing his content.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan,

It has taken me a year to find your entry on my blog, Stock Picks Bob's Advice. For that, I apologize because I appreciate your mention and my attempt at transparency and honesty in stock blogging.

There is a lot of garbage on the internet. There are many people who hype stock, especially in message boards.

I have chosen to be as honest and as straight-forward as possible. I am not a CFA, but I love investing and believe that many people do not have the ability to do the basic things I have learned to do to evaluate stocks.

Thanks again and good luck with your weblog.

Robert Freedland
htt

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home